Every November, we unite to raise awareness and make a stand against one of the most pressing issues plaguing our communities: family violence. Family violence affects countless lives, but the good news is, it’s preventable. At Radiance Family Society, we’re not just recognizing this essential month; we’re actively working to make a difference.
What is Family Violence Prevention Month?
Family Violence Prevention Month (FVPM) is an annual event in Alberta dedicated to increasing awareness of family violence and promoting healthier, safer relationships within our communities. This month offers an opportunity to shed light on the warning signs of family violence, educate ourselves on available resources, and work together to put an end to the cycle of abuse.
Why Radiance Family Society?
Radiance Family Society is at the forefront of this issue, providing a safe haven for individuals and families in need. Our commitment to the cause includes:
- Specialized Counseling: We offer specialized counseling for families and individuals, helping them navigate the complexities of family violence, and providing support to heal and grow.
- Safe Housing: We provide a sanctuary for those fleeing from violent or abusive situations. Our safe housing options offer a refuge for those who need it most.
- Trauma-Informed Childcare: We understand the impact of trauma, especially on children. Our trauma-informed childcare is designed to provide a nurturing and safe environment for young minds to heal.
Why Does it Matter?
- 87% clients assessed in severe or extreme danger of death by partner since the previous year
- There was a 7% increase of clients in extreme danger from the previous year
- National reporting trends show a 27% increase in femicide, or death by partner, compared with pre-pandemic levels
- Alberta has the third highest rate of self-reported spousal violence among Canadian provinces
How Can You Help?
Family Violence Prevention Month isn’t just about recognition; it’s about action. Here’s how you can join the cause:
- Use #WhereToTurn: Share your support on social media using this hashtag, and help spread the word about available resources.
- Advocate in Your Community: Put up FVPM posters, encourage community leaders to declare November as Family Violence Prevention Month, and reach out to local media outlets to amplify the message.
- Lend a Helping Hand: Consider becoming a volunteer at Radiance, sponsoring a family, or contributing as a monthly donor. Donate for #GivingTuesday to get your donation matched! Every effort counts.
- Be an Advocate: You can make a significant impact by creating safe spaces within your personal circles, remembering to check in with family and friends, and actively listening with empathy while withholding judgment, fostering an environment where open and supportive discussions can thrive.
This November, let’s make a collective stand against family violence and build a safer, more compassionate future for our communities.
The Family Violence Info Line (310-1818) is available 24/7 in over 170 languages. IF YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER CALL 911.